Sunday, June 4, 2023

47 YEARS I have to take each day as it comes now and accept them for what they are good or bad and move on. I don't dwell on them or analyze them in any way because they are what they are. But that's Parkinson's for you constantly changing, mutating in so many different ways and you have to take it as it comes and adapt accordingly. It's a very slow decline in physicality so slow and subtle that you hardly know it's happening but it's constant and always there but it's happening nonetheless. And, as the symptoms change you have to adapt to them because you have no choice, and I do that as I have done for over forty-seven years and get on with my life as best I can. Parkinsonism has become a reality for me, something I cannot change in my foreseeable future. I don't question it in any way and Parkinson's is now part of me, which may sound unacceptable to some reading this but by accepting it into my life I have found peace of mind and understanding. And now I can live with the symptoms and the pain because I have accepted it as being normal. The laws of nature selected me for whatever reason to have to live with this terrible neurological degenerative condition. However, in saying that while I have suffered and struggled to come to terms with certain aspects of it, I have also gained from it as well because as one-half of my brain has deteriorated the creative side has become a dominant feature and I am so grateful for that. And, although the functionality side of my brain has changed in a radical way because now I have become artistically more creative, a lot less functional. As my ability to carry out functionality has declined my artistic creative ability has blossomed. So, there are silver linings in amongst the negativity the irony being that it has been something I have been searching for most of my life and I have found it in the most unlikely of places. I have a clarity of thought that I have never known or experienced before. A cup of water has transformed itself into a glass of wine. Bread and butter have become a salmon sandwich, and walking on the moon has become a distinct possibility in my literal creativity. I have become my own universe in which anything almost seems a possibility. I can travel to the far reaches of an unknown galaxy without moving a muscle. The world is my oyster, the sky is the limit and my Parkinson's life has become that much more bearable. I have found my inner strength from my outer weakness and have dismissed Parkinsonism with a simple swish of my hand, and now life is bearable and perfectly understandable. I have created a safe haven that has freed me from Parkinsonism and I feel reborn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

STUMBLE AND FALL You have to see what Parkinson's can do to a fellow human being to believe it. It can be very cruel at times if you don...